- Masters of Science in Biomedical Engineering December 2010
New Jersey Institute of Technology , New Jersey, USA
- Bachelors in Biotechnology May 2007
Vellore Institute of Technology University, Vellore, India
New Jersey Healthcare system, Veterans Administration, East Orange, New Jersey December 2008 – Present
- Led a team that designed and built a data acquisition system for NASA, capable of measuring EEG, capanograph, heart rate, blood pressure that can be controlled and monitored remotely. This system withstands forces of up to 3G.
- Upgraded an existing an ambulatory physiological measurement device by designing a new system capable of measuring and transmitting physiological signals with 10% increased range and a 70% bandwidth increase.
- Identified and redesigned a data acquisition protocol and optimizing a LABview program to reduce data loss by 95% occurring due to human factors.
- Introduced custom design for movement measurement unit. Increasing size of unit by 25% but with a threefold increase in capability. Pocket sized unit provides a measure of total steps taken as well as visualization of the body orientation using a MATLAB code.
- Conceptualized and built a fully immersed virtual reality target practice and behavior analysis facility. Increased field of view from 60 degree to 360 degree view.
- To improve soldier training experience I introduced and built a Microsoft Access survey which is easily delivered to the trainees and provides graphical performance reviews for trainers
Stress and Motivated Behavioral Institute:
- Optimizing neural networks to understand avoidance behavior in war veterans exhibiting class C PTSD symptoms.
- Improvised existing 'Eye blink system' by making it sleeker and mobile with hot swappable parts which are currently being used at Rutgers University and Michigan state university for data acquisition.
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey:
- Designed a system understand effects of Otto acoustic emissions in Guinea pigs. Successfully managed the pilot program into mainstream implementation.
- Coordinated and provided solutions for multiple research groups working on animal studies like - circadian rhythms, enriched environment studies, traumatic head injury, and behavioral inhibition; developing engineering constructs, data acquisition models and post data analysis
Robot Assisted Virtual Reality Lab, New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark, New Jersey Mar 2009- Oct 2010
- Created a physics engine within a virtual world that provides more realistic upper extremity stroke rehabilitation using haptic feedbacks.
- Creating the first real time physics based virtual reality game for stroke rehabilitation, enabling a more realistic rehabilitation process.
- Created a website to make the RAVR research lab more accessible and to recruit students and participants for research study easily.
Junior Research Fellow
Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai, India April 2007 – April 2008
- Researched the effects of Curcumin extracts on Neurogenesis in adult rats through a series of behavioral models, treatments and histological analysis.
- Analyzed the effects of stress induced activation of Arc in the somatosensory cortex.
Product Development Summer Intern
Avestagengrain Tech, Bangalore, India May 2007- July 2007
- Responsible for identification and phytochemical extraction of chemical components from plant materials that can be used in the development of neutraceutical products.
- Provisional patent for the No-NOx! Model of automobile exhaust in April 2006. An automotive exhaust model that is designed to reduce Nitrogen Oxide emission from automobiles.
- Harish Damodaran, Michael Bergen, Ambulatory Wi-Fi Pulse oximeter for group measurements, Bio Medical Engineering Society conference, Atlanta 2012.
- Harish Damodaran, Sergei Adamovich. Examining the manipulation of dynamic properties of virtual objects to optimize upper extremity rehabilitation activities. National Bioengineering conference, New York 2010.
- Poster co-authored: Stress induced activation of Arc in the somatosensory cortex: downstream of 5-HT2A, BDNF and CREB, program no. 522.13. Society for Neuroscience, San Diego 2007.
- Master’s thesis: Tilt simulation: virtual reality based upper extremity stroke rehabilitation, Newark 2010.
- Bachelor’s thesis: Role of Withania Somnifera in the modulation of stress induced neuro- behavioral patterns via neuronal Nitric Oxide Synthase, Vellore 2007.
- Awarded "Outstanding student leader award 2009- 2010" - NJIT.
- Graduate student representative of the year 2009-2010 – Graduate Student Association, NJIT.
- Guided Graduate Biomedical Engineering Society(GBMES) towards "Outstanding student group of the year 2009- 2010".
- GSA Research day awarded best academic support program of the year, part of the organizing committee.
- Secured 1st position in National Level Competition “FREEDOM TO INNOVATE” organized by Honeywell Technology Solutions Lab, Bangalore, India
- Awarded “Champion of Champions” at the senior secondary school athletic meet, bagging three gold medals and one silver medal.
- Amateur pianist I grade - Trinity college of London, 96%.
Relevant course work
- Neuromuscular engineering
- Human structure & motion analysis
- Orthopedic medical device design
- Principles of rehabilitation engineering
- Entrepreneur management
- Lightroom 3
- Photoshop CS 5
- Conducting Animal behavior studies
- Animal Handling
- Western blot Analysis
- Sterile Cell Culturing
- Running SDS PAGE gels